Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Class 2B Traffic Police (TP) test

Today is finally the day, I tried my best to sleep at 1030pm the night before (LOL) so I can get ample rest for my Class 2B Traffic Police test on this very day. I woke up at 2am and 4am, prolly cos I was so nervous and then at 5:45am. At this point my heart was beating so fast, the feeling was so much more nerve-wrecking than taking my university exams hahaha. Prepared and got changed quickly, very thankful my mommy agreed to send me to BBDC so I don't need to wait for the bus and all.

Reached BBDC at 7:15am, scanned my IC at the kiosk and got my slip of paper. Went to the motorcycle office, checked this long list of attendance for my number tag, which was 29.

Incase you don't know during TP, the number tags are arranged from number 1 all the way to the last number by the order of: Foreigners, Singaporeans aged the oldest all the way to the youngest. Today there were 46 of us taking our TP test!

We were given this clear plastic holder to put our IC/passport + PDL, which had to be given to the TP testers after.

Then we went for our warmup session, which was about 30-40 mins? I couldn't rmb cos I wasn't wearing a watch. My warmup session was terrible!! Went for narrow plank and pylon slalom course first, and you know what... I dropped off the plank hahaha that's an immediate failure lah! I've made some horrible mistakes, such as dropping of right foot, ebrake exceeded red line and such.. Not only me, I saw some of my fellow testee right footed, drop plank etc. Nerves got to most of us I guess hahaha. Went back to park our bikes and took a short 5 mins break. Then at 0900, we had a briefing by the instructor on what to look out for, when to start our courses and the circuit and public test route.

At around 0930, we went out and gathered accordingly to our row numbers, where the TP personnels will check our IC and ask us to recite our IC number hahahha idk why but the scene was damn funny.

Since I was number 29, I had some time to kill. Occasionally I'll glance out the window and see the earlier number tags from 1 to 20 going for their courses or coming down the slope etc. At this point I wasn't as nervous already! Maybe cause I told myself, "leave it to fate".

Then my row was gathered outside, took our bikes and we got ready at the starting point. Only 1 bike will be at the starting point, then the second bike will be behind the cones (around 1 car length away from the first bike). So only 3 bikes can wait before the first bike at the starting line! Whenever the bike at the starting line moves off, the second bike will move forward etc. The tester will normally signal for the bike to move off around 2-2.5 minutes interval to avoid having to wait at circuit courses.

The very first tester was sitting on a high chair on my left, I looked at him and he gave me the sign to move off. But there was an oncoming vehicle on my right so I waited.. After that I moved off. I was damn unlucky lah.. Cause we had to lane change to the right after the very first bend and there were 2 bloody cars, one on the left and one on the right, moving at the same speed SIDE BY SIDE WTF. I couldn't overtake and shit... So I remained in gear 2/3 all the way on the left lane.. Upon reaching the bend, suddenly the car infront of me on the left lane went to hazard light, (OMFG YOU KIDDING ME)?!?! The car on the right went much slower before the bend... I was so freaking afraid of not being able to lane change in time to the right. Then the left lane car went faster and I lane changed after the bloody slow car on the right lane *PHEW*there were alot of colourful words in my head already that time hahahah.

Turned right in, lane changed to the left and turned left to head to the slope. When moving up the slope after releasing my clutch and brake, I think I wobbled cos ganchiong or what damnnnnn.. Engine brake down the slope, braked and clutched in. Turned left and headed straight for my Figure 8 "S" and crank courses. The TP tester gave me the sign to go and I went! Did my "S" course, stopped and then proceeded to the crank course. Upon exiting the crank course, the traffic light was green so I immediately rev my throttle, junction check and here comes the right turn.

No cars in sight, great! Moved out, lane changed to the left and went into the bus bay. Here comes the narrow plank and pylon slalom course. TP tester signalled for me to go, blindspot and up my bike went onto the plank! Tried my very best to kiap my fuel tank really tightly, looked super far ahead and clutch+rear brake when I felt I was going too fast. Before I went onto the narrow plank, all that was in my head was.. "DON'T FALL OFF THE PLANK!!!". Pylon slalom next, thank goodness I didn't strike any cones haha. Ebrake course was last...

Rev throttle from gear 1, kicked up gear to 2, then 3.. Maintained at 30-31km/hr then ebraked! Luckily I didn't pass the red line like what I did during my warmup session harharhar.... Moved out of the ebrake station and went straight, signalled left to go out to the public test route... Silly me had forgotten to check my left blindspot before my left turn to head out to BBDC SIGHHHH. When I realized that, I was like 1/4 into my left turn then I checked my blindspot. So silly... In my head I knew confirm 4 points gone already :(

Very unlucky, there were 2 cars infront of me heading out to BBDC as well. My low speed control is not excellent, so I have a higher chance of wobble and all. Stopped at stop line, saw another TP tester RIGHT INFRONT OF ME!! Tried my very best to not look at him...

Reached the left filter lane, thank goodness the oncoming traffic on the right stopped cos it just turned red light, quickly moved out of the filter lane, accidentally saw another TP tester sitting at the filter lane area and tried my best to not look at him. Lane changed to the right, reached traffic light junction, signalled right and went for uturn. There wasn't any bike so I stopped at the stop line, accidentally turned my handlebar way too early so my bike's position was in quite a "sharp turning" position. Lotsa oncoming vehicles, waited for awhile and at the same time, took lotsa deep breaths... Because to me uturning is the scariest out of everything! Traffic was clear, and I did my uturn in such a way I was damn proud of myself HAHAH, so smooth, no wobble no wide turning oh my gosh!! After my uturn, I felt so stress-free and even smiled to myself LOL crazy, I hope the tester didn't see my smiley face hahaha.

Right turned at the traffic light junction, went straight and rode passed the hometeam ns golf ranch and there were pedestrians crossing at the zebra-crossing so I stopped, saw another TP tester sitting near the hometeam ns bus stop. Wanted to turn left after passing hometeam, but there was a lorry infront of me LOL. Thankfully I rmbed to stop behind the stop line incase I cannot make the left turn in time, but luckily the lorry went off fast while green light and I turned left.

Rode back to BBDC happily knowing my TP test is coming to an end, turned left into BBDC, turned left again and after the mechanics shop, turned left into the end point, switched my bike's engine off and pushed the bike through the circuit to park it. The whole test took me about 25 mins or so! Since the results will only be out at 1130am, I went for a short break with 2 of my friends. Headed to level 3, classroom 3 for results.

At 1145am, a bike instructor walked into the classroom, holding some papers and shut the door behind him. Suddenly the classroom was so silent. He told us that whoever's number tags that were being called to go to another classroom.

If your number is being called, means you failed!!!

My heart was beating like crazy at this point. Furthermore, he said the numbers that were being called will be jumbled up, added more stress! Everytime he said "twenty..." I got damn ganchiong lah since I was tag number 29. There were lotsa females' tags being called consecutively at one point, gosh.. After this girl was called, the instructor waited for her to shut the door and he said, "Those who are still in this classroom, you have passed your TP" hahahah!!! I WAS OVER THE MOON! People started cheering, giving each other high fives, handshakes etc.

There were 46 people taking TP today, of which 27 people passed (4 females, including me, made it. YAY!!) Its a rough estimation lah, I counted how many people passed cause the Expressway Familiarization Ride (EFR) course had limited slots so I counted to see if there are enough slots anot hahahah.

Watched a video on road accidents for riders, how to safeguard our motorcycles etc. We took a Riders' Pledge as well. I couldn't remember the entire pledge but the last paragraph goes something like this..

"We pledge as riders to ride safely and to stay alive."

Took our results back and I BARELY MADE IT THROUGH!! I got 18 demerit points hahahah. Half of my 18 points came from wobble lah... The rest was abrupt lane changing and blindspot. Anyway I was so excited. This is very first attempt for my Class 2B TP and I DID IT!!!!  
I FREAKING DID IT!!!




After 1230 (that's when the EFR course is open), went to the computer terminal at level 1 to book our compulsory (& FOC!) Expressway Familiarization Ride (EFR) course at 1320 before I can officially be a qualified rider!

Izhardi and Vincent took our group of 6 people out for ERF! We rode to KJE, discovery centre, SAFTI, Qian Hu area and some other places I don't remember. The feeling of riding on the expressway was so exhilarating!! I loved every minute of it really. Best day ever!!



After my EFR at about 3pm, I went to the TP office to get another row added to my license!! The wait was terribly long lah... Waited for 1 hour 30 mins until it was my turn hahahha. Since I already have a class 3 license, the whole sticker pasting process was really quick. By the time I was done with everything, it was already close to 5pm. So I spent almost 10 hours at BBDC today hahaha madness, since 7:15am-5pm.


WHOOPPPP NEW ROW ADDED TO MY EXISTING CLASS 3 LICENSE!

I've enrolled in Class 2B on 15th Sept 2014,
Started my very first practical lesson on 23rd Sept 2014,
Ended my last practical lesson on 22nd Dec 2014

And now...

Passed my first attempt of Class 2B on 17th Feb 2015!

Took me 5 months to clear everything! I worked really hard for my 2B license... Went for pracs 2 times a week diligently during my initial orientation stages, when I reached stage 3 onwards I still go for pracs once a week and weekly practices during my wait to TP. Being a female rider, people tend to doubt my abilities to ride since male riders are always more superior. Although I didn't suffer from any major falls during my learning journey, I did drop my bike, mount kerb on crank course 2x and once in the "S" course HAHAHA.

Even though I barely made it through my TP with 18 points, I'm so overjoyed and grateful for this experience. I definitely will not forget this 5 months of learning 2B! Extremely thankful for all the help, tips and guidance given by the friendly motorcycle instructors at BBDC.

--


Anyway this is the overall breakdown of my Class 2B practical lessons I took over the span of 5 months at BBDC!


1.01: 1x (START: 23/09/14)
1.02: 1x (passed with 2nd attempt of 1.01)
1.03: 2x
2.01: 2x
2.02: 3x
3.01: 1x
3.02: 2x
4.01: 1x
4.02: 1x
5.01: 1x
5.02: 1x
6.01: 1x
7.01: 2x
8.01: 1x (END: 22/12/14)

Total paid practical lessons: 20

RC: 6x
SP: 7x
RR: 3x

TP: 1x

Total amount spent: SGD $1,192.30
They consist of..
- Practical lessons: $990.82
- Theory (basic + riding theory lessons, riding theory practice + evaluation, defensive theory lessons): $143.38
- BTT: Exempted since I took it during my class 3 days back in 2010!
- RTT: $6
- TP: $52.10

Since I passed my 8.01 final evaluation quite early, I went for many practices weekly throughout the wait to my TP!


--


Time to start looking for bikes lo!! Although I already know what bike I want to get. Can't wait to start riding a motorcycle with my sister and maybe.. Just maybe we might go and take our Class 2A one year later? :D Would love to try the Super Four at BBDC heehee. A really happy Chinese New Year indeed!!

Do drop me a comment or ask me anything on askfm if you guys have any doubts on the 2b course! I'll try my best to answer them. To those learning 2B now, have fun with it and ride safe! :)

53 comments:

WJ said...

Wow congrats! Shall see u on the road nxt time.
Happy CNY!

Suzie said...

CONGRATS! I was the girl who talked to you during my RC! Stumbled upon your blog while searching for tips for practicals. Hahaha.

joycelee said...

@WJ Thank you!!!! looking forward to seeing you on the road too :)

@Suzie HELLO & THANK YOU! hahaha it was nice meeting you. Is your TP coming up soon? All the best!

Zack said...

Wow joyce! congratz :D haha 2 more months to my TP :D so how has ur bike survey been? getting one soon?

Suzie said...

No i'm still stuck at 5.02 but i hope i'll get by pretty soon! :D Thanks!

joycelee said...

@Zack Thank you!! All the best for your upcoming TP, rmb to go for more practices and rr ya :) I'm looking for second-hand bikes now, but not alot of choices actually, hopefully I can get one before the end of march!

@Suzie Yes you can! Quickly pass your circuit evaluation and head on out to the road, it'll be more fun :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Joyce! Do u know the name of the very tall skinny chinese bike instructor? Is he fierce?

joycelee said...

Hi! Either you're talking about George Teo or Sean Ho? Cos both of them are Chinese, tall and skinny hahaha. I got both of them as my instructors before, they're friendly and helpful :)

Zack said...

Hey joyce since u are now in the midst of finding a bike can u help me answer this question i have.

when we buy a bike from another person privately do we have to pay our insurance until COE ends or are we allowed to pay monthly?

joycelee said...

From what I know, insurance has start on the very same day you ride the bike home from the second hand owner and the insurance has to be paid yearly, all the way till coe ends!

ZACK said...

@joyce Thanks for the info man!
haha wow my insurance is like 1K for my age and experience :(

and my bike 2k!!

3k just to own a bike !!

haha coe for bike also i realise 6k already. Wow !!

Yusuf said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yusuf said...

Great post! Do you know if there's 2B tp test on Saturdays at bbdc?

joycelee said...

Thanks yusuf! From what I know bbdc has 2B TP tests only on Tuesdays :) be sure to keep your whole day free should you pass, better to clear your highway familiarization and get your license registered all in a day!

Dan said...

Thank you so much for writing this blog! My TP is in less than a month and I am freaking out. I passed my 8.01 on my first try and people say thats a good sign but I am still very nervous. I hate the Uturn and if I'm the first bike it's super hard to stop in the correct position because during SP and RC we can only practice stopping so slowly! :(

joycelee said...

Hi Dan!

You could take up more RR, the instructors will give each bike a chance to be the first bike!! It's really crucial to learn to stop before the stop line for uturns on public roads. I know it can be quite difficult to have to drop from gear 5 to 1 in a short amount of time before positioning your bike for the uturn. Practice that!!! I know lots of people who right footed cos they couldn't stop in time.

All the best for your upcoming TP :) you can do it!!

khandekar said...

If i suppose fail in TP in first attemp, how soon i can get next slot for TP..do u know abt that!!

khandekar said...

If i suppose fail in TP in first attemp, how soon i can get next slot for TP..do u know abt that!!

joycelee said...

Hi khandekar! sorry about the late reply.

If i'm not wrong, you have to take 2 RR before you can rebook your 2nd attempt of TP so I'm guessing it depends on how early you can clear the 2 RRs first? But I gauge you have to wait at least 2-3 months before the next available TP date. Hope it helps!

Dan said...

Thank you!! I just passed today. Like you my warm up was horrible at some points haha I dropped my bike during the u turn prac and right footed on e brake! But in the end I decided to do my best and leave it to TP to decide and I scraped through with 18 pts. Thanks for writing this blog! it helped and encouraged me so much during my riding journey. Sadly some instructors you've mentioned like kelvin whom I had before have resigned.

khandekar said...

Thank you. Hope will pass in first time

joycelee said...

@Dan
Hi Dan! A big congrats to you, you deserve it! Hahaha I'm sure lotsa people always feel crazy nervous during the warmup session, esp this right footed issue!

Ohmannnn Kelvin resigned? I wonder who else has resigned too :( Anyway, glad that my blog has helped you! After months of hard work, you can now ride your dream bike on the sg roads!

@khandekar
I'm sure you can pass it on your first try, practice makes perfect! Quickly clear 8.01 and take more SPs and RCs :D

Fan said...

Hi Joycee,

Thank you so much. Your blog was very useful for my 2B course. I managed to pass in my second attempt. Your description about every course was detailed and insightful. It helped me during my journey.There is no other blog which explains every course. Hats off to you for taking the time to record down everything. You are awesome!! Keep up the good work !!

Dan said...

Hey Joyce! Read on your blog that you were looking at the Grom at FZ16. I tried those exact same bikes because like you I am vertically challenged girl haha. Some of the FZ16s were so high I didn't even dare ride off because I had to tiptoe so bad. Eventually managed to get a Grom for 9k with 8 years left on the COE and it came with a nice box (not the uncle kind haha) and an original yoshimura exhaust worth 600+ (no idea what it is lah but worth so much so not complaining). What a steal especially now that the second hand market is super inflated thanks to the 6.5k COE! Hope to see you on the roads soon!

joycelee said...

@Fan
Hello Fan, glad my blog could be of help to you :) I was quite excited about signing up for 2B hence I wanted to make it a point to jot down everything that happened during my pracs.

And a big congrats for passing your 2B TP!!! Hope you've gotten the bike of your choice and do ride safe!!! :D

@Dan
HAHAH!! Ya man, I had to tiptoe on the FZ too, felt so unsafe. And you're so lucky to have gotten the grom at such a steal!! You must be looking damn cool as a biker chick hahahah. Is there a picture of you and your grom? I'll love to see it :D

Unfortunately I still haven't gotten my own bike since my working place is only a stone throw away from home and it won't be practical to own a bike... Maybe in the near future I hope to see you on the roads!

DS said...

Just passed my 2B yesterday - wanted to say thanks for sharing your journey & experiences. Was super helpful. Hope you get a bike and on the road soon!

joycelee said...

@DS
Big congrats to you!!! And glad I'm of help to you hahah. Unfortunately I'm not riding yet, I got a job which is a stone throw away from home so it won't be feasible to get a bike. maybe when I have the spare cash in a few months time hahaha. Hope you're riding your dream bike now!! Hope to see you on the road :)

shikin said...

Just cleared my 6.01 today. Really nervous about 7.01 because of the uturn. I didnt even manage 1 proper uturn during 5.01 and yet i passed. Always lose control when i have to turn the handlebars alot. Sigh. Been reading your blog for tips. Thank you for all the insights. Will be sure to try them out.

joycelee said...

@shikin

If you're not feeling comfortable doing uturns, its best to go for more SP if you wanna keep trying uturns. I once spent most of my SP lesson perfecting and overcoming my fear of uturns hahha. Remember to throttle, kiap your tank tightly and dont throw your clutch :) hope it helps!!

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Thank you for getting this blog up. I really think it will help people who newly enroll for 2b as it did for me.
I have been reading yours from your first day till the end everytime i need to go for that certain pract to get insight and finLLY I PASS today, 1st time also..haha
now to get a bike..xD

joycelee said...

Hello!

Thank you very much for your kind words and a big congrats to you :D So glad it has helped you through your entire 2B course. Have you gotten a bike and started riding yet? Pls ride safe too!

Unknown said...

Woah you stay at Tohguan area? Saw your picture looks like my house. We can go for rounding together hahaha

joycelee said...

@Weihan Soh

Wahhhh like that also can tell!! yeah i stay there. Is your block nearby the big playground or the coffeeshop? hahaha

Unknown said...

Of course! Here since they built this estate haha 19years liao. One of the 287s HAHA

joycelee said...

@Weihan

I've been staying there since they built it and..... Im staying at the 287s too hahahahha, I've probably bumped into you a few times before unknowingly LOLLL!

rae said...

thanks girl for having this very inspirational blog on 2B...been reading since enrollment on 15 Mar till I gotten my licence on 4 May. ain't you going for class 2A?

CL said...

Joyce,
I read your blog on 2B before going for mine test. I find it very helpful. I pass on first try. However, my 2B and TP was at CDC Eunos; not Bt Batok.

I find the briefing on the TP test route by my instructor very fast and compact - confusing, cannot remember every details during the lesson. Subsequently, I have written all i could remember the test route. If you like to publish my note within your blog to help those from CDC, i would be happy to pass it on to you.

CL Lau

joycelee said...

@rae

Hi Rae! Thank you, glad it has helped you with your 2b journey! And nope, currently not thinking of taking up 2A hahaha. Work has really been occupying majority of my time. Are you riding now? :)

Anonymous said...

Would like to congratulate you on your passing of Class 2B!

Thanks for writing such a detailed event of what happened on the day of TP itself. It gave me a rough idea of what to expect on the actual day!

Anyways, just a question, do you know whether the EFR do open it's slots on Weekends too?

Unknown said...

Hi Joyce, i would say reading your blog is really interesting and it does help me here and there especially on those u turn practical and stuff. Each and every time before i go for my practice i would read first to motive and encourage myself. Like you, i passed my TP on first attempt 4th July 2016 with 16 points. Didn't believe i passed but yeah i made it! Didn't think much during the TP test but just comfy. ... Thanks for sharing!!! Looking forward to your 2A blog if you already start doing so. Cheers!

Unknown said...

Hi Joyce, i would say reading your blog is really interesting and it does help me here and there especially on those u turn practical and stuff. Each and every time before i go for my practice i would read first to motive and encourage myself. Like you, i passed my TP on first attempt 4th July 2016 with 16 points. Didn't believe i passed but yeah i made it! Didn't think much during the TP test but just comfy. ... Thanks for sharing!!! Looking forward to your 2A blog if you already start doing so. Cheers!

Uumairah said...

u are such an inspo! i thought i was the only one feeling all types of ways! Im still at 1.2 but reading all ur posts makes it even more scarier but one thing's for sure i learnt not to be afraid while reading ur blog! thank u for the tips hopefully i can make it through out this 2b journey!

chongbin said...

Now I am twking my class 2b at SSDC. Thank for the tip!!!

joycelee said...

Hi Anonymous,

You're welcome! Glad my little "diary" helped people :) And if I'm not wrong EFR don't open on weekends? Not sure if anything changed throughout these 2 years hahaha.

-

Hi Rabiah Mohd Ali,

Thank you for your kind words! And I'm really glad it has helped you in your 2B journey. Haha I haven't take my 2A unfortunately cause I rather have some riding experience before handling a bigger machine. I hope you'll take your 2A in 5 months' time!! HAhaha hope to see you on the roads sometime :)

-

Hi Uumarirah,

Another female rider!! :) The initial basic stages are bound to be terrifying, aboslutely a different feeling from driving a car but you''ll not regret riding really!! Don't let the machine overcome you, control it instead! Hahahaa I'll be looking forward to your good news in obtaining your 2B license!

-

Hi chongbin,

Glad you are taking up 2B!! It's gonna be an unforgettable experience for sure ;)

Unknown said...

I do agree with all the ideas you have presented in your post. They’re really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are very short for newbies. Could you please extend them a little from next time?..Keep this great work.
book your motorcycle test online co uk

geography3e4(ahmed,syed,amos,mustaqiim) said...

Omg right when i was about to book tp my rtt expired... Hey how often are there available slots when booking tp?

Anonymous said...

Love love love ur blog. Always reading it b4 my lessons. Thanks. U r a great inspiration ��

Alfred said...

Hi joyce

Yr detailed blog is really insightful and encouraging... I am now proceeding to 6.01 after much struggle .. But I will keep trying..
How abt u? Been riding? What bike? Hopefully u can do a bike review... Haha...

Unknown said...

Hi Joyce! Happy new year!!!!

Hope all is well at your end.
Took your 2A now?

Jackfruit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackfruit said...

Taking my TP in 5 days so nerve wrecking!!

Anonymous said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlhFa5nwJ2Q

Learning how to ride at Singapore Batik Batok Driving Center (BBDC)?
This video shows the riding test route for Class 2B licence at BBDC.
There are 2 segments:
(1) Map Walkthrough
This animated walkthrough give you an overview of the test route.
(2) Video Walkthrough
To have a better understanding of rhe test route, a video with step by step instructions and tips to guise you along the way. This can help you to better familiarise with the test route before your test or lesson.
This video is useful for learners taking riding lessons at BBDC, specially at stage 6.01, 7.01, 8.01 and of course the actual motorcycle riding test conducted by Singapore Traffic Police.
Enjoy the video.
Hit the like and subscribe buttons if you like this video.

Anonymous said...

Your post helps a lot! I just passed today! There is a BBDC 2B/2A/2 telegram group which helps me a lot too! https://t.me/bbdc_2b