Monday, March 3, 2014

My beer brewing final year project

Yeah so school have started for like a month now, and I'm currently on my year 3 (final year!!) sem 2. I'm like 5/6 into my university journey now and time really flew by (awesomeeeeeee :D)

Was lucky enough to get my first choice of dissertation topic, "brewing flavoured beer". How awesome is that? Gotta do a dissertation on my choice of flavour of beer, get to drink and experiment with various flavourings. And as the fermentation process is quite a long wait hence, we need not go visit the lab everyday like other groups, such as cancer cell lines, kombucha etc. Our beer brewing group isn't exactly slack, it's just that fermentation takes up alot of time!!

Week 1 was all about filling up the COSSHH, ethics forms etc. Quite a bore la but it was required before the kickstart of our project. Week 2 was where we started brewing our first batch of lager!! Exciting stuff :)


Yupppp and there's our lager!

Us with Dr Katie

Both Audrey & I are under the same supervisor :D

And lastly, us with Dr Sunesh

Week 3 was all about the testing of our flavourings with commericial beer because our beer's primary fermentation was still ongoing until next week. Only some will know how much trouble and tough decisions I gotta make whilst deciding on my flavour for the beer. Spent quite a sum of $$ into making my own flavourings but I guess it didn't quite work out la so....

Experiments are expensive!!!!


Our red faces after the beer tasting session (HAHAHA)

Favourite girls :)


Yep. That's during our tasting session!

Overall this semester is very manageable and I don't feel the stress like how I did in year 3 sem 1 (where I had like over 25 assignments, reports and exams). This semester there'll only be an exam, a poster, an essay and my dissertation (which will  continue through year 3 sem 3!!). Exciting exciting stuff.

I'll be back to update my beer brewing journey!!

No comments: